I have noticed how many people around me have problems when it comes to buying a new camera. There is a whole bunch of specs the companies are babbling about and an average costumer usually understands about 20% of it (came to the percentage by my own estimation). They offer you a variety of technical information that you just don’t know how to interpret. Sure, it sounds great, but what does it all mean? I will try to clear it up a little bit for all of you out there who might have problems with buying a new camera.
Let’s start with types of cameras:
2. Prosumer (hybrid, DSLR—like, super-zoom camera)
3. MILC (mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera, a.k.a. compact system camera)
(Has nothing to do with MILF)
Yep, there are quite a few types of them and when you add manufacturers and their specs, you are in deep trouble.
First you have to know what you need your camera for.
1. Will it be a small cool thingy that you will put in your purse everywhere you go to record your memories?
2. Or you’re planning to have more decent photos that you can use for something other than your photo album?
3. Maybe, just maybe, you are really into photography and want to pull the best out of every scene you will try to shoot (from both artistic and technical aspect), no matter the costs?
Most of the people tend to classify themselves as the last category. Well guess what, just because you like taking photos with your phone, it doesn’t mean you will love to do it with a 2 kg camera in your hand and additional 5kg of equipment sitting on your back. Do I need to mention that equipment will cost you about half the price of your car? In addition if you plan on using only a program mode, don’t buy yourself a DSLR. Just because it is bigger, it isn’t better in doing everything for you.
My recommendation is; if your answer to my first question is yes then you are searching for a consumer camera, period. If my second question is where you find yourself and you would like to have greater control over your camera, then prosumer type is the one for you. If you see yourself as a third question type and my comment on overestimating your wishes didn’t discourage you, you are choosing between DSLR and MILC.
I would like to mention that I will not write about choosing the right DSLR or MILC in this post, if you want, leave a comment about what you wish to know and I will write a post only about those sorts of cameras.
Now that we have managed to sort out what you need, in the upcoming post I will add the criteria by which you will be choosing it.
Check us again in a day or two!